DIY Asbestos Sampling
Asbestos was used in a wide range of building materials and other products prior to being phased out by 1990 and banned in 2003. It is still present in millions of properties throughout Australia.
Was your property built before was built before 1990? If so, your property could contain asbestos.
Are you thinking about renovating? Always check if asbestos is present prior to undertaking any renovations, even something as simple as drilling into a wall to install a shelf!
- Have an OCTIEF consultant come and sample any potential asbestos containing materials – call 1800 628 433
- Take a sample yourself with the assistance of our DIY Asbestos Sampling Guidance
Where can you find asbestos?
Outside the home
- roof sheeting and capping
- gutters, gables and eaves/soffits
- water pipes and flues
- cladding for walls, including imitation brick cladding
- carports, garages, outhouses, garden sheds
Inside the home
- wall sheeting, particularly in wet areas such as the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and laundry
- ceiling sheeting
- plaster patching compounds and textured paint
- electrical switchboards
- vinyl floor tiles and paper backing for vinyl and linoleum flooring
- insulation in domestic heaters and stoves
For more on where to find asbestos click here.
The Queensland Government Asbestos website and the Australian Government Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency website provides more asbestos safety information for householders and home renovators.