Comments : 0
What is NABERS?
NABERS is the National Australian Built Environment Rating System. Very basically, the NABERS System allows individuals or businesses to compare buildings using a five star rating system. Buildings are rated on their energy, water or waste efficiency, or indoor environment quality. A rating of zero stars (0) means the building is inefficient compared to other buildings, while a rating of five stars (5) means the building is very efficient, and is likely to have top quality equipment, effective and sustainable design and excellent management practices. There are four NABERS ratings for offices:
- Energy – Research has shown that by assessing energy efficiency and installing energy efficient fittings, building owners or tenants can save between 20-40% on power bills whilst marketing the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Water – Research has shown that commercial buildings account for 10% of our nation’s water consumption. Buildings can potentially improve their water efficiency by undertaking a NABERS Water rating.
- Waste – A NABERS Waste rating allows building owners and/or tenants to assess the waste reduction and recycling performance within the building or tenancy. Buildings or tenancies can achieve better ratings by increasing their waste and recycling efficiency.
- Indoor Environment – The NABERS Indoor Environment rating allows you to compare your building or tenancy’s indoor environment performance to other similar buildings. By completing a NABERS Indoor Environment rating you can gain vital information relating to the overall tenant or occupant satisfaction within the building.
Why undertake the NABERS rating?
A NABERS rating can potentially provide many benefits including but not limited to:
- Achieving energy savings of between 20-40%
- Reducing energy costs
- Increasing employee productivity
- Increasing the level of occupant satisfaction and comfort within a building, and
- Marketing your building or office as NABERS rated.
Commercial Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Scheme
The NABERS rating system is voluntary, however new Federal Government legislation to be introduced in the second half of 2010 (CBEED) will require building owners selling or leasing office space to disclose their NABERS Energy rating.
This requirement will apply to commercial office space over 2000m2. The building owner will be required to disclose a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC), which will include the NABERS Energy rating, tenancy lighting details and energy efficiency guidance.
Further information on CBEED is available at www.environment.gov.au/buildings.
We encourage you to rate your building now and be prepared. You can contact us on 1300 138 366 to arrange an Accredited NABERS Rating for your building.