Recent media articles have reported how prevalent methamphetamine contaminated houses have become across Australia.
Research has shown that contamination levels from smoking of methamphetamine inside a dwelling can be as high as those from a Clan Meth Lab.
Octief Meth Services – property screening
If you are planning on purchasing a property or suspect that your rental property may be contaminated with methamphetamine we can provide the following services:
- Baseline testing pre-tenancy for rental properties
- Initial Site Assessments to determine if a dwelling is contaminated
- Detailed Site Assessments to determine the overall levels of contamination throughout a dwelling
- Remediation Action Plans for clandestine laboratories
- Site Validation Assessments following remediation to determine whether the levels in the dwelling are below the NEPM, Australian Standards and State based health guidelines.
- Review by an independent (BSc) scientific consultant
- Meth analysis by NATA accredited laboratories
- Testing in accordance with the Australian Clandestine Drug Laboratory Remediation Guidelines
Health Risks of Methamphetamine Contamination
The effects of residual methamphetamine contamination in a property has different effects on individuals, with children and babies usually more susceptible to displaying symptoms. Common exposure is through skin contact with surfaces containing the meth residue or inhalation of chemicals and organic compounds. Some common side effects can include:
- disrupted sleep
- vivid dreams
- respiratory problems such as an asthma-like wheeze
- children with inattention or ADHD-like behaviour
- psychosis, including: paranoia, hallucinations, repetitive motor activity
- damage to brain, liver and kidneys
- reproductive problems such as birth defects and miscarriages.
If you suspect a property is operating as an illegal laboratory, contact the police.